Saturday, December 23, 2006

We, the Nation

It's been two weeks since I last posted. A lot has happened since then. A lot to write about. I should start off with what's on my mind at the moment.

Manu Sharma got a life sentence in the Jessica Lall murder case. A lot of things about this case bother me . It depicts the times we're living in, the system, the public -everything, it's a collage, a portrait of the present India. A well-connected politician's son shoots a bar-tender in a high profile party and thinks he can get away with it. What's worse, he almost did. Had it not been for the relentless pursuit shown by the media, Manu Sharma would've gone scot-free along with the others (Vikas Yadav- who also happens to be a co-accused in the Nitish Katara case and Amardeep Singh Gill).

The case is also a shining example of the hypocricy that sorrounds us. When Shayan Munshi said that he was not supposed to be there, I agree with him. He was the only one, who stuck his neck out, and deposed before the police. He was as brave as he could get. Others present at the party didn't even bother. And when he later retracted, everyone went hysterical. Talk shows discussed how shitless he was to retract, newspaper articles discussed ethics, morality, bravery and Shayan Munshi. Let me clarify at this point - I'm not trying to absolve Shayan Munshi of his guilt. I'm sure he sometimes gets sleepless nights thinking about whether he should've taken the other route.The point is that most of us would've done the same in similar circumstances , just that we would never admit it, hypocrites that we are -all of us.I also know there are some who would do what's right. Bina Ramani is one of them, and I respect her for that.

All's well that ends well. Jessica Lall did get justice, after all this . This along with several other high-profile convictions (Priyadarshini Matoo case, Shibu Soren) will definitely reaffirm the lost faith in the judiciary among the people. I sure do feel good. I hope this feeling lasts for some time.

Oh, and yes, it's a long weekend, and since I don't have any special plans for Christmas (as yet), more posts would follow :).

No comments: